CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 04, 2005

For The Love of Words, Fantasy....And All Things Bookish

"..illuminating my path,
my soul enlightened
,
my mind awakes.."
Dear lonely isle,

With the possible exception of Jellybean, the thing I treasure most among my hoard of materialistic wealth would indefinitely be my books. (Take note that with all things and issues concerning my books, it is ALWAYS with the possible exception of Jellybean) I'm a fanatic when it comes to my books. There are just some things you tend to be very particular about, and I take it to extremes when my books are involved.
There's just no other word for it, I LOVE THEM. Of course, the careful choosing all the way to the painstaking wrapping does play some part in why I actually take the trouble to do such things. Also, the rules I impose on all unwary enough to attempt to borrow them is, yes, I admit, absurd. But all this I do in the name of love. Obsessive love, some may say is unhealthy, but i beg to differ. Obsessive love is what keeps my books healthy.
Another kind of obsession I have, to a much lower degree is, reading them. I love my books and I like reading them, I know. But of all the things I could read, I have a special attraction to books of the fantasy genre. Correction, I tend to read ONLY those books (possibly yet another obsession). Many have wondered about this, and many more have asked. And so to those who have once pondered, ponder no more. (I would like to clarify that, despite popular belief, neither the book covers nor their contents give me nightmares)
Before that, one question: have you ever read a fantasy book?
For me, the first time I read a fantasy book, I fell in love. And after 6 years, I'm still in love.
When I read a book, I'm taken to another world, where the words swirl into landscapes and burst into colour. But perhaps, the most enchanting thing about reading fantasy is possibly about satisfying the one wish I have always had - to be somewhere else. Yes, that is nothing new. I have entertained the thought for quite a while actually.
To be away from the constraints of life, to be free of daily worries is like being able to breathe for the first time again. And each breath a celebration of life.

And every new day a promise of new adventure.

love, joyce.


0 comments: