CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sinners, Sheep, and Self-preservation

"..dont' go chasin' waterfalls,
please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to,
I know that you're gonna have it your way or nothing at all,
but I think you're moving too fast
.."


Dear lonely isle,


Forgive me for I have sinned.
I have erred.
Forgive me for I have commited that which I should not.
Forgive me mine foolishness and wipe away my stain, so that I may be redeemed and whole once more.
Cleanse the soul so that it may once again be pure.
Give the ailing heart a reason so that blessed it will be once more.
Grant peace and salvation unto me.

Humans are sinners. It's the way we were possibly made.
If we're lucky, we might just happen to live a life that isn't quite that sinful, but for many of us, truly we need to be saved.
Like lost sheep that venture the wilderness, we turn on ourselves, finding that meat tasted better, we became cannibals and ate our own kind, forsaking the bland taste of grass and wheat, embracing the wild, sweet forbidden meat.
Truly, we seemed to have evolved into dogs.
We chew the occassional bone when we have to, but nothing satisfies like a huge, raw steak.
And what could compete with the craving of sinking our teeth into another of our kind?
Dog eat dog world indeed.
Eat, or be eaten. Kill, or be killed. (Nevermind you don't like how it tastes. Your opponent probably never tried anything more flavourful than carrot. But that's not the point.)
Carnivore, vegetarian, humanitarian or no, there's just something in us that tends to herd us towards our own destruction.
Consider the facts we learn in biology. Every species that lives, has among other things, a main purpose in life. Get born, get bigger, get laid, get offspring, get dead.
Ok. Maybe not the get dead part, but the rest is pretty much the same.
They lived to propagate. To produce offspring for the continuation of the species. Anything to ensure that the future generation exists, nevermind if it may become competition later and have to be killed. Self-preservation is important after all. But the bottomline is, you did your duty.
But the thing about humans is, we somehow developed a brain, which lead to people like this, and blogs like this in which yours truly is typing out obscene gibberish in the hope unravelling the true mystery of mankind. Or maybe the reason why we live. Or why we have a brain. It doesn't matter.
The thing is, we think too much. And with thinking, what starts our as a plan to ensure our survival; building better houses, growing larger crops, building nuclear bombs to protect ourselves, etc, etc, etc; we somehow divert along the way, and accelerate full speed ahead in the direction of our destruction, ie. nuking the neighbouring country for looking at us in a threatening way. (Note that in some aspects we are pretty much like our 'unthinking' cohabitants on this earth, when we turn something in the nature of continuation of the species into something of the continuation of our own survival. Truly, self-preservation is built into us. But I'm getting ahead of myself here, we'll return to this soon.)
As I was saying. We follow the logical thinking of humans.
I live to propagate my species. I live to pass on my genes to the next generation. I live so that would be a next generation. Therefore, it is vital that I live.
For if I did not live, where would they come from?
Truly, the instinct for self preservation is strong within us.
But when our instinct for self preservation leads us to self destruction, truly, I stand in awe, there is nothing more amazing, or more ridiculous than humans.
We started off rather well, being primal and all. Then we developed philosophy, which lead to other things like education and thinking, and then we end up like this.
So, first we knew we had to propagate. Then we realised that to propagate, it is vitally important to look out for number one. Then it dawns on us that to do that, we must eliminate current competition. It just so happens everyone else thought about that too.
Ok so maybe not everyone of us is out to kill our neighbours and potential rivals, but somehow, as a whole, humanity seems to like jumping off cliffs, running away from the plague that hasn't arrived yet.
You could say we dug our own grave. I mean, it's not like you can trust anyone to do it better.

So maybe what's wrong with us is that I've been thinking too much.
Guilty as stated, really. I've just handed over the proof.

Yes, yes, I know I should go find something better to do with my time then to type silly things like this...

love, joyce.

0 comments: